Monday, October 21, 2013

The Arts? Or waste of time?

Should high school students be required to take an art? In my school a graduating credit that is required is an Art, well for the singers, dancers, artists, and instrument players that's a piece of cake. But then there is me... the girl who sings in the shower and pretends to sound amazing but the moment that water is turned off its like nails on the chalk board. I as a junior haven't completed my required credit. I really don't want to do it next year but I have to. In my life I don't plan on doing anything in the arts so i don't believe that I should be required to waste my class on something I don't need. I rather spend time on something that helps me get closer to my goal of becoming a physician. I believe that it shouldn't be required  it should be optional, I understand where the required credit come for Computer Literacy because as a growing technology era we should  learn the basics of using a computer and being efficient in typing, we would you it in our daily lives either as physicians to dancers. I mean lets really look at what we can learn from the arts if we want to be a physician? Choir teaches you how to sing... Band is for the people who play instruments... Art is for the ones who can draw and I can't to save my life...  Maybe culinary arts because it teaches you to follow procedure but in reality you don't have to because in cooking you can add and remove what you'd like as opposed to having to follow the set procedure in chemistry or in biology. So think about we have to take a class that for some of us doesn't change anything or doesn't affect our lives when we could be taking the class that could help us get one step closer to being what we want to be in life. I leave it for you to think whether your part of the lucky artistic people or not, Should high school students be required to take an art? 

1 comment:

  1. I really like your topic. I always really enjoyed art classes but I never really thought about what it was like for others. These art classes also tie into what i want to do so it makes sense for me. I realize that it might not be needed for others. Interesting perspective. I now think about it all differently

    ReplyDelete