Thursday, October 3, 2013

That Really Special Thing to Me

There is a class in the school not understood by many. What class is that you may ask; although it seems obvious. This certain class happens to be my favorite class. NJROTC (Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps). This class is misunderstood for many reasons, the uniform, the curriculum, the teachers and mainly the purpose. This class is just like any other class you come in. You sit down. You listen to your teacher. You do the work, and the outcome is your grade. Does that not sound familiar? Of course it does, but this class does distinct itself from the others. This class is an opportunity  to change your life. That is if you allow it to do so. People come day in and day out... "I hate this class" "This class is stupid." "This uniform is gay." Well that uniform is the same uniform that the men and women that are fighting for our freedom. Of course if these people come in here they will never, ever be able to like that class with the mindset that they have. I say this because I was once one of those people. Its because of these people that this class is so misunderstood. If your not open minded then where will you get in life? Will you ever try new things? An example would be myself I got to ROTC and said the day I walked into the class and automatically said I hated it not knowing the first thing about it. Later my mom just told me to try it to be OPEN-MINDED so I did. Now I'm the XO of my unit (second in charge) and i love the class and wouldn't change it for the world. Its important that when people get to this class not to shut it out just because you have to wear a uniform on Wednesdays, always look at the brighter sides of thing. It will save you loads of looking at your closet wondering what you are going to wear. This is mainly for the people who have heard many scuttlebutt's (nautical term for rumors) about the class so the they know that the class is just a class with many opportunities to better yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Very well written. I really like the topic, i never really knew a large portion of this. Just one sentence restructure idea: "That uniform is 'worn by' both men and women..." And other than just a few sentences needing commas, well done. ROTC sounds really cool btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EY there shipmate.
    this is really nice. i like the topic and i like the way you feel about NJROTC. you have a lot of grammar mistakes like the one about men and women fighting for freedom. and you have some mistakes using commas. but it's a big improvement from the last one when it comes to pauses and commas. oh and don't forget the apostrophe in It's. i like the way you write because you write, much like the way you talk. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete